Peek of the Week for Jan.6-9
Welcome back to a new year in Second Grade. January is a great time to learn. A new year brings new and exciting challenges.
Bible verse for the week: Matthew 5:14 “You are the light of the world.”
Reading: Our story this week is: “Dear Mr. Blueberry”
Genre: Informational Story – An informational story gives facts about a topic through a story plot.
1. details – small bits of information
2. disappoint – to make someone sad because something expected did not happen
3. forcibly – strongly; by force
4. information – facts about a person, place, or thing
5. oceans – large bodies of salt water where whales and other animals live
6. stroke – to rub something gently
Spelling Words for the Week: rang, sang, thing, bring, swinging, strong, along, swung, stung, thank, blank, blanket, sink, twinkle, honk, dunk, trunk, they, their, there
*NEW THIS WEEK – This week we will begin having vocabulary words on our spelling tests. Students must spell the vocabulary words and write the definition. I will not count off for spelling in the definition, but it must be spelled well enough that I can understand the definition. Perhaps this would be a good time to
write the vocabulary words every night with the definitions.
*avoid: to stay away from
*dwell: to live in a place
Math: Chapter 6 - Subtraction with and without regrouping.
Timed test: Wednesday –subtraction differences of 4, 25 problems in 2 minutes
Social Science: Forces of Motion
Requests and Reminders:
*We will begin cursive handwriting next week.