Peek of the Week for March 9-12
phrase, graph, telephone, alphabet, elephant, chorus, echo, echoes, rough, tough, bought, brought, fought, thought, taught, caught, daughter, didn't, doesn't, don't
fleet: a group of ships or planes
coast: the land next to the sea
chimes: a set of bells
Our story this week: Abuela
Genre – Fantasy – A fantasy is a story about events that can not happen in real life.
We will look for characters that do things real people can not do and a setting that may be different from the real world.
1. flock – a group of birds
2. glide – fly smoothly without effort
3. harbor – a place where ships dock
4. soared – to fly high
5. swooping – to fly downward fast
Math – We will have a math test on Ch. 8 on Wednesday. Timed test: differences of 8 in 4 minutes
Social Science: Mrs. Perry and Mrs. Ringham: vocab test on Past and Present vocab words
1. History: the study of what happened to people in the past
2. Settler: one of the first people to make a home in a new place
3. Landmark: a familiar object at a place
4. Colony: a place that is ruled by another country
5. Artifact: an object from another time or place
The students will have to match each of the words to the definitions. Then, they will need to write a sentence with each of the vocabulary words below the matching section. Sentences must use detail showing that the students know the definition of the word. (Ex. Do not just write....I like history.)
Requests and Reminders:
*Spelling, reading, and Bible verse tests this week will be on Thursday.
*Spring Break begins on Friday, March 13th. See you back on Monday, March 23rd.